Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Great Crash of June, 2009...

Well, it happened a few days ago. My almost brand new PC's hard drive completely froze up and I lost about two weeks worth of photos, essays, pics and bookmarks. I also lost a lot of freelance stuff I was working on, which I'm now frantically trying to patch together from the fragments of my disjointed mind. Don't worry, I'll live.

The thing that did strike me as odd on the morning of my first day without a computer, was how blue the sky was, how purple the pansies, and how yellow the sun. It was like a man emerging from a cave after a year-everything burned with new significance.

But in all seriousness, what really bothered me was the fact that I have become so dependent on my computer, the internet-technology in general. I'm not one of those people who walks around almost being hit by a bus because he's texting on his Blackberry, and I consider myself a responsible, courteous, citizen. I like to think that I control my life, but sadly, to some degree, The Technology god rules.

In any case, it was actually kind of nice not being a slave to my computer for a couple of days-
I just whipped out my iPod, texted my agent, and rode off into the sunset...

2 comments:

Rogelio Perea said...

- that reminds me, I have to get that HD backup I bought two months ago up and running, and unpack & setup the new PC rig that arrived maybe 3 months ago. A few years back something like this - which would include an Internet outage - would have me in a nervous fit; something clicked for the better and I rediscovered there are important things in life, and none have to do the ones and zeroes that plague our modern world. Glad to hear you got a break Nick :-)

NiteOwlz / Glenn Page Music said...

Yeah, it's scary how dependent we become on all these things that were supposed to "simplify" our lives. The invention creates the need...